What is this standard about?
This is the fourth in a long-established five-part series of British Standards covering the UK’s national electrical power plug and socket outlet system. By law, all UK electrical appliances must be supplied with a BS 1363 plug and all installations must include BS 1363 outlets.
The other four parts in the series are:
- BS 1363-1: 2016+A1:2017 13 A plugs, socket-outlets, adaptors and connection units. Specification for rewirable and non-rewirable 13 A fused plugs
- BS 1363-2: 2016+A1:2017 13 A plugs, socket-outlets, adaptors and connection units. Specification for 13 A switched and unswitched socket-outlets
- BS 1363-3: 2016+A1:2017 13 A plugs, socket-outlets, adaptors and connection units. Specification for adaptors
- BS 1363-5: 2016 13 A plugs, socket-outlets, adaptors and connection units. Specification for fused conversion plugs
Who is this standard for?
- Manufacturers of electrical accessories and cord sets
- Manufacturers of electrical equipment
- Test houses
- Manufacturers of other plug-in items, e.g. power supplies, battery chargers and other small items of electronic equipment who need to evaluate connecting pins, dimensions and compatibility with sockets
Why should you use this standard?
The BS 1363 series provides essential requirements for the safety, construction, electrical and mechanical testing, dimensional accuracy and markings of the UK national electrical power plug and socket outlet system.
As such the series ensures that the millions of plugs, sockets and adaptors in use in the UK and overseas, and made by many different manufacturers, will fit together and function correctly, safely and reliably even after many insertions.
This part of the series sets out essential requirements for 13 A fused connection units switched and unswitched.
What’s changed since the last update?
The 2017 amendment to Part 4 makes changes to the test sequences and marking requirements and renumbers the test clauses.